With so much chaos and busyness over the past two months… there have been at least 15 times I’ve stopped in the middle of my day thinking, “I would not want to do life without Dean. What a blessing to have a teammate and partner that makes me enjoy our family and life so much!” I think there are several reasons why I feel so lucky.
1. He is steady. While I am a relatively go-with-the-flow person, he is even more steady and “unemotional”. When things get hectic or I feel overwhelmed, he knows what to say and do to get me back on track. He steadies me when I feel like I’m getting knocked over by wave after wave.
2. He gets things done. I am so thankful for a husband that takes initiative in our house and always has his own to-do list. I appreciate how much time he spends working on our cars or helping with our tenant stuff. I love that I can rely on him to take over a lot of our busy work.
3. He is so funny. When we are doing mundane projects or when we’re on a road trip, there is no one I’d rather be with. He makes me laugh over the craziest things and humor is one of the most important things for me. I love that we get to find the humor in the littlest things.
4. He works hard. I love that he works so hard for our family. At work, at home, with the kids. I know that this phase of our life is very active and I know his work isn’t easy. But when he comes home, he participates in the dinner prep, he runs the errands, he gets on the floor with the kids. I love that whatever he does, he works hard at it.
5. He knows me. I am so appreciative of a husband who knows how to push my buttons and how to avoid them. He knows what makes me tick, he knows what gets me excited and he knows how to tiptoe around things that may hurt my feelings. I am thankful for the way he knows me. And because he knows me so well, I feel secure and safe around him. I can be vulnerable around him and still ‘feel safe’.
He always talks about how he’s been molding me and chiseling me over the past 10 years we’ve known each other. Shaping me to be a better person. And while he says it somewhat jokingly, I know it is true. I am a better person because of my husband. A more confident person because of him and a better person because of him.
As we spend the rest of the year being thankful for so much and so many, I am so thankful that I have a husband that I wouldn’t want to do life without.