Before I kick off my goals for 2017, I wanted to quickly review where things landed for last year. 2016 was a good year in many ways but definitely had areas where I could improve. I’m going to revisit goals for 2016 and then my comments on how I did in these areas:
- Faith – Get out of my “God funk”. I was riding high the first half of last year in my walk and the second half of 2015 just wasn’t there for me. I think a lot had to do with reading Battlefield of the Mind the first part of last year, but I want to get back on that high I had the first half of the year. I don’t think I did really great on this one. Even leading my women’s group, I felt slack on the fall study we did and just never got into a good grove.
- Family – Dean family of 4 trip (ours in 2015 got cancelled due to a little storm named Joquain!) and a trip to Disney. I want to do a better job of balance – the whole work/family/individual trifecta – too often it veers one way or the other and I’d like more of a balanced triangle this year. I also want to do more special dates with the kids. We did a good job early 2015 but it’s gotten away from us. We did Disney and went to Maryland in the summer to see Deans family. We didn’t do as many “special” planned dates, but did do a lot of one-on-one bike rides or meeting the kids for lunch during the week at school or just doing a fun impromptu froyo date while running errands together. I think I need a more tangible #s goal on this one, but we definitely had some sweet one-on-one time with our kids.
- Marriage – I want us to mix it up this year. More weekends or nights away where we enjoy us time. Surprise dates. A renewed focus on us now that our kids are a little older and don’t require so much of “us”. We did not do a good job on date nights this year. I think because we are go-go-go so much during the week, the thought of planning another thing to do or a night out seems too much. On the weekends, I just want to relax and during the week I don’t want to add anything else to our plate. I know this isn’t the right answer but it’s the truth.
- Financial – I have some figures earmarked for goals with savings, 401k, kids accounts, etc. The usual! We did great this year on financial goals. There were even a couple – ‘this is a crazy ridiculous goal, what are we thinking?!’ and God more than delivered.
- House – I want to put something on the walls in the boys’s rooms. They seem unfinished despite being about 90% done. They just need the finishing touches. I also want to buy new bedroom furniture for the master and paint our room. In 2016, I want a new toy storage solution in the play room. Something to start organizing that room better. And I want to throw a party in my house. I don’t take advantage of our set up enough and I’d love to do a little backyard cookout or another type of get together in my home – gotta use all the hosting kitchen supplies I’ve acquired over the years. I think we did a pretty good job on the house goals this year. Our master is about 98% done. We got new furniture that I absolutely love, painted the walls, hung crown molding and hung a picture gallery. So much better than it looked before. We also bought some dining room furniture that I really love and hung a few light fixtures. And we had some friends over a few times through the year, so we did a little entertaining. 🙂
- Health – I exercised 120 days in 2015. So 1/3. I think I can do better. I want do 150 days in 2016. If it’s going awesome I’ll hit 180 (about 50%) but I want to be realistic with the increase. So anything above 150 is a goal reached! I did 170 days in 2016. Goal reached. I think I can thank a binge watching of “Suits” 5 seasons. I only let myself watch if I was doing the elliptical, so many of those days were with Harvey and Mike entertaining me.
- Personal – I want to do some personal counseling this year. I’m often not the Ginger I want to be and I want to do some personal searching and counseling to figure out how I can be better. I also want to do more reading. I love devouring a good book and after our trip to the DR this year where I read 5 books in 5 days, it just renewed a love for books that I had growing up. I also want to practice shooting in manual. I need to work on my photography skills! I didn’t do the counseling. I think I’m afraid of the time commitment it will take and don’t want to start something unless I’m going to stick with it. I definitely had some great reading stretches this year. I love to read for pleasure and James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks often have some good stuff!
All in all, I think 2016 had some really great stuff. Our kids got more active in extracurriculars which was really fun to watch. We stayed busy with church and family. Our house got some mini improvements. It was all-in-all a good time!
Now, bring on 2017!